Being the wife of an Irishman, I better know how to make potatoes. Haha. Honestly, potatoes of any kind are a favorite of mine too so when I did my final for my cooking class last week I made Oven Roasted Rosemary Potatoes. Sometimes things with the simplest ingredients are the most delicious and that is definitely the case with these crispy yet tender potatoes.
The simple beauty of this recipe got me thinking how sometimes in life the simplest things can be the best things. The world has become such a complex place and the mentality of “more” is being pushed on us at almost every turn. I love the sparkly, the fancy, the techy as much as the next person but those things also make me realize how important it is not to lose sight of just how wonderful the simple things can be and to savor and appreciate them. A picnic in the park with the kids, a phone call with my mama, holding hands with my hubby in the car, or curling up with a good book. Those are the little things I’ve been appreciating this summer.
I’m also appreciating potatoes. 🙂
- 1 pound Red Potatoes
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 spring fresh rosemary
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Cut the red potatoes into ¼ths or 8ths depending on the side of potatoes.
- Place the potatoes in a small roasting pan or dish.
- Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper. Toss to make sure they are evenly coated. The seasoning will make the dish a star.
- Pour the olive oil over the potatoes and toss to coat evenly.
- Remove the leaves from one sprig of rosemary and sprinkle over potatoes.
- Roast in oven for 1 hour or until golden brown on the outside and fork tender.
- Stir gently halfway through. Carefully so the potatoes are not broken.
I made these potatoes for my final because we had done a similar version in class but I changed up the seasoning just a tad. I knew I was going to be nervous cooking for the final and we had to cook from memory so I needed something with limited ingredients that I could do off the top of my bed that was delicious and fool proof. The instructor told me the potatoes were cooked perfectly. Win!
I made these for dinner with my family this week and my husband said he could have them with every meal (That Irishman does love his potatoes!) and I also wanted to share them with you, because sometimes you just need a simple side dish. And sometimes like this easy red potato recipe the simple things are the best things.
What are your favorite simple things?