I have a confession to make: I like to cook but on the weekends I would rarely cook breakfast. I would send my husband out into the world to forage for food at the local kolache place. Done consistently over time, this is good for neither our pocketbook or waistlines. One of my resolutions for the new year was to begin cooking breakfast every Saturday and on Sunday before church we will either do something quick like cereal or an English muffin, or maybe occasionally treat ourselves to the kolache place.
What was my first breakfast of the new year? So glad you asked! It was simple, and it was warm, and it was rich, and it was chocolatey. In short, it was heaven. I made Nutella French Toast.
French toast with it’s eggy cakelike texture and the velvety Nutella. It’s like they were meant for each other. I know there’s a lot of hype around Nutella and truthfully I put off trying it for a long time because of it, but y’all it really is good.
- 1 egg
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup of milk
- 2-4 slices of bread
- 2 tablespoons Nutella
- In a medium size mixing bowl whisk together the egg, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla.
- Add the milk and blend well.
- Spray a skillet or griddle with cooking spray and put on low heat.
- Dredge one slice of bread front and back.
- Add to skillet and cook 2-3 minutes on both sides or until golden brown.
- Repeat for each slice of bread.
- Spread half the Nutella on the back of two of the slices of French toast and add the other two slices of bread on top of the Nutella. Add more Nutella as needed for your number of slices of toast.
- Serve with powdered sugar or syrup.
I will be the first to admit this recipe is not rocket science, but it’s simplicity is part of the beauty. And maybe you’ve never thought to put these incredible things together. I’m here to help my fellow foodies and pass along this my discovery. I was reading a Taste of Home magazine and there was a recipe for PB&J French toast and I thought….hey, why not do Nutella? And so I did. And I was glad.
You can serve it with syrup or it’s delicious with just powdered sugar as shown in the photo. This Nutella French toast was so good and so simple, it will definitely make sticking to my resolution a lot less painful and a lot more delicious.
Like easy cooking tips? Want to know what’s coming up on the blog? Want the Penney Lane’s recipes right in your inbox? And I know you’d love an exclusive monthly foodie giveaway? Well, then you should sign up for my weekly newsletter! Just one email per week. What are yo waiting for? Sign up here.
You might also like: