With fall in full swing there is inspiration all around us. Waking up to a morning just a little cooler than it was the morning before. Mother Nature whispering “Change is happening” and making you want to bake all the cinnamony things. A little one picking up a brown leaf and noticing the different color from the summer’s green and awakening the urge to get the fall decor out or do some fall crafts. (We go straight from green to brown in Texas and miss the beautiful fall palette of the more Northern states.) There’s even inspiration at Target. Yes, Target. I was checking out the other day and there was a gondola of seasonal M&M’s and Ethan brought over a package each of Pumpkin Spice and Candy Corn M&M’s just begging to be made into a fall Chex Mix.
- 2 cups Rice Chex Cereal
- 2 cups Honey Nut Cheerios
- 1 cup Raisins
- 1 cup Dry Roasted Peanuts
- 1 cup Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- 1 stick Butter
- ¼ cup Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- ½ tablespoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
- ½ cup Candy Corn
- ½ cup Pumpkin Spice M&M's
- ½ cup Candy Corn M&M's
- Preheat oven to 250.
- Combine, cereals, raisins, pumpkin seeds, and peanuts in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Melt butter in a small sauce pan.
- Add brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice to melted butter.
- Stir to combine the spices with the butter.
- Spray nonsitck cooking spray on a large cookie sheet.
- Spread cereal mixture evenly over the cookie sheet.
- Pour the liquid butter over the cereal mix and give a gentle stir to coat thoroughly.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until most of the butter is absorbed, stirring occasionally.
- Let cool completely then combine cereal with candies in a large mixing or serving bowl.
- Stir to blend.
With the pumpkin spice and cinnamon, this Chex Mix smells like fall come alive in your house when it’s baking. I added the pumpkin seeds for a bit more of fall flavor, the raisins for a bit of texture (and a healthy snack!), and I used salted nuts to cut some of the sweetness going on. One important thing to remember when making this recipe is to let the cereal mixture cool completely before adding the candy or you will have a hot melted mess.
This Chex Mix is so easy to make and has a wonderful fall flavor with the pumpkin pie spice and Pumpkin Spice and Candy Corn M&M’s. The bright colors really lend itself to being a great food gift as you can see with the little Mason Jar. If we slow down and appreciate it there is so much inspiration in the fall, from Mother Nature, from the new seasonal flavors, or yes, even in unlikely places like Target. 🙂
You might also like: