Thank you Hamilton Beach for partnering with me on this recipe.
One of my mantras as a homecook is that delicious doesn’t have to be hard. During this busy fall season, the easier we can keep our dishes even when we are entertaining, that’s less stress in a fun but admittedly stressful time of year. And when that dish can also be elevated and elegant that’s a grand slam! These pork chops are done in the Hamilton Beach Stay or Go 6 Quart Slow Cooker (available exclusively at Walmart) and paired with the classic fall flavors of butternut squash and cranberries.
- 1¼ lb butternut squash cut into cubes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 boneless thick cut pork chops
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- ½ tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 cups onions sliced in large chunks
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ¾ cup apple cider
- Add the squash, cranberries, broth, and honey to the Hamilton Beach slow cooker.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet until it shimmers.
- Sprinkle the salt and pepper evenly on the pork chops.
- Add the pork chops to the skillet and sear on both sides.
- Set the pork chops aside.
- Add the onion and garlic to the skillet and saute.
- Deglaze the pan with the cider for about 5 minutes.
- Add the onion and garlic mixture on top of the squash in the slow cooker.
- Scrape the deglazed pan into the slow cooker.
- Layer the pork chops onto the onions and squash.
- Cover and cook on low for 3 hours until the internal temp of the chops is 145.
There are a few steps to this recipe with chopping the onions and squash (or my grocery store sells precut squash cubes and maybe yours does too), browning the pork chops and deglazing the pan, but these are not hard steps. And as Pioneer Woman says when she makes one of her recipes with a few extra steps “‘I’ve never made it and not thought it was worth it.” The sweet of the squash and honey is paired perfectly with the salt and pepper of the pork chops, and the onion and garlic, all complimented with the slight tartness of the cranberries.
It’s a beautiful fall meal that’s perfect for a small dinner party or a Sunday supper. The pork chops are thick cut but they’re fork tender. The squash and cranberries are so good on their own you could even make them by themselves as a Thanksgiving side!
Hamilton Beach has given me one of their handy 6 Quart Stay or Go Slow Cookers to give away to one of my readers.
The slow cooker features:
- Flexible Programming Options
- Single clip quickly secures lid to base to reduce messy spills
- Portable to tailgating or parties
- Hinged lid easily detaches for cleaning
- Lid and stoneware are dishwasher safe
- Auto switch to warm when done cooking
- Programmable for 2, 4, 6, 8 or 10 hours
To enter the giveaway simply leave a blog comment stating what is your favorite fall slow cooker recipe.
Giveaway ends Friday, November 20, 2015 at midnight. Winner chosen within 48 hours of giveaway ending. Winner has 48 hours to claim prize or another winner will be chosen. Giveaway open to US residents 18 and older.