I love dips… of all kinds. Seriously, if chips didn’t have so many calories I would eat a whole bag of them with any dip like this Cheesy Bean Dip, Three Cheese Spinach Dip, or just some fresh salsa. I’m not gonna lie, I pretty much ate half of this whole skillet in one sitting. It’s addicting!
This homemade bean dip with my homemade slow-cooker refried beans but canned works too. It’s sooo simple to make! Just mix the beans with salsa and top it with cheese. I mixed in medium salsa but if you like things spicy you can mix in your favorite hot salsa instead.
I chose to top the beans with cheese because well, cheese makes everything even better of course! This has a combo of cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese but you could just use one or the other or really any kind of good melting cheese. Oh and I also grated mine by hand. I think cheese melts better when it’s fresh rather than pre-shredded with that powdery coating.
And then to top it all off I added some color and freshness with cilantro and tomatoes. I’m obsessed with cilantro! It first off is gorgeous but it also just makes everything taste fresher. It’s especially great on Mexican and Thai food.
What are you waiting for??? Dig in!
- 3 cups fat-free refried beans
- ¾ cup salsa (medium or hot)
- ½ cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- Tortilla chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Lightly grease an oven proof skillet or pie plate, mix refried beans with salsa. Top with shredded cheese and bake for 15-20 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Top with tomatoes and cilantro and serve hot with tortilla chips.