I am loving and using my rice cooker to make one of my favorite comfort foods. One of the things I love to order from Cheddar’s restaurants is their broccoli casserole and so I decided to learn how to make my own. I decided it make it a meal and added the protein of the chicken but that is optional.
- 1 16 oz package petite broccoli florets cooked
- 3 cups rice cooked
- 1 package Tyson pre-cooked diced chicken
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 can cream of chicken and mushroom soup
- 1½ cup shredded yellow cheddar cheese (divided)
- 1 cup shredded white cheddar cheese divided
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 cup French friend onions
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Coat a 13x9 casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Combine broccoli, rice, chicken, mayonnaise, soup, 1 cup yellow cheddar cheese,1/2 cup white cheddar cheese and eggs in a large mixing bowl
- Mix thoroughly.
- Place the broccoli mixture in the casserole dish and spread out evenly.
- Top with the remaining cheese, bread crumbs, and French onions.
- Drizzle the melted butter over the top.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until top is a golden brown.
I added the French onions on top for a bit of added flavor and crunch on top. Yes, there’s a lot of cheese and cream so there’s no way I will say it’s healthy but it’s a delicious way to get in some vegetables or have an easy one dish meal for a busy day.
Although you do have to cook the broccoli and rice, it’s still a very easy dish to prepare and all together takes less than an hour. Without the chicken, this dish would be a wonderful and cheesy rice and vegetable side dish.
Want easy recipes like this one to come right to your inbox? How about cooking tips and reader exclusive giveaways? The join my once weekly newsletter right here!