Inspiration from the Baja Coast
This recipe was inspired by the Chicken Tinga Tacos from the stunning Solmar Hotels & Resorts in Los Cabos Mexico. Solmar Cabo San Lucas is a beautiful luxury resort situated on the breathtaking Baja coast. Their chefs prepare creations featuring the finest of local flavors. I knew I wanted to recreate the dish in my own kitchen when Solmar shared their recipe for chipotle tacos. The essence of Baja is still there but I put my personal spin on it turning them into slow cooker chicken tacos. I hope that it will inspire your own Los Cabos trip whether it is to Mexico or the kitchen.
If you follow me on Instagram or Twitter (and you totally should for previews of upcoming recipes, travel tips, and general shenanigans), you might have seen that I’ve lost 42 pounds this year. What the what?! Yep, big changes have happened around here in 2018. More on that later as I reveal an updated new look for the site and myself! One of the ways I’ve lost the weight is by reteaching myself to cook in a lighter and healthier way.
One food you would have to pry from my cold dead hands to give up is tacos. Tacos is my favorite food group. You can even have breakfast or dessert tacos. I wasn’t quitting tacos so I needed to find a healthier way to eat them.
Honey Chipotle Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
Inspired by the recipe from the chefs at Solmar I did just that. Tacos for me now are leaner proteins, less or no cheeses or heavy sauces and with corn tortillas instead of flour. Chicken is zero Weight Watchers Freestyle points. Taco seasoning and chipotle sauce are also zero points. All of the points from this slow cooker chicken taco recipe come from the honey, cream cheese, and chipotle sauce so feel free to adjust those ingredients as you wish. The inspiration to use the low fat cream cheese for the sauce came from this Skinnytaste Cajun Chicken Pasta Recipe.
- 3 medium size boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 package Old El Paso Taco Seasoning
- 2 cans Chipotle sauce
- ¼ cup honey
- 6 oz low fat cream cheese
- Spray slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
- Line bottom of slow cooker with chicken breasts.
- Combine remaining 4 ingredients in a blender or food processor until thoroughly combined.
- Pour honey chipotle sauce over chicken breasts.
- Cook on high for 4 hours.
- Remove chicken breasts from slow cooker and place on a cutting board.
- Shred chicken breasts with two forks.
- Add shredded chicken back to slow cooker.
- Stir to coat the chicken with the honey chipotle sauce.
- Serve with warm tortillas and garnish with onions and cheese or desired toppings.
- Optional: An extra drizzle of honey on top of the tacos brings out the flavor.
Let’s Taco ‘Bout Points
A serving size is two street tacos. The chicken, sauce and two corn tortillas are 8 Freestyle points. If you pair the tacos with a zero points veggie side, an 8 points delicious slow cooker chicken taco dinner is a big bang for your points buck! The sweet of the honey is the perfect balance to the heat of the chipotle leaving the slow cooked tender chicken full of flavor. Winner winner!
You might also like these Slow Cooker Chile Lime Pork Tacos.