I absolutely love soup. Especially in the winter. Just makes you warm and cozy from the inside out. But I’ve never made soup. There I said it. I have never fired up the stove and made soup. Until tonight. We had a great little cold front that came through last night and it was a gorgeous brisk sunny day so it was perfect soup weather! After a fun day taking my kiddos to the railroad museum I came home and put the soup on. Literally. Zesty hamburger soup.
- 1 lb Hamburger Meat
- 1 Tablespoon Minced Garlic
- 1 Teaspoon Red Pepper
- ½ Package McCormick Stew Seasoning
- ½ Can Rotel Tomatoes
- 1 Can Tomato Soup
- 2 Cans Beef Broth
- 1 Can Broth
- 1 Sauce Pan Elbow Macaroni & Bow Tie Pasta
- ¾ Cup Frozen Peas & Carrots
- Brown ground meat and add stew seasoning, minced garlic, and red pepper.
- While ground meat is browning, cook pasta separately, in sauce pan according to instructions on pasta box.
- Next add drained Rotel tomatoes, broth, tomato soup, and water to a stock pot and cook on medium heat.
- Once ground meat is thoroughly browned, drain and set aside in pan.
- When soup broth reaches slow boil, pasta should be done, drain pasta.
- Add pasta, ground meat, and peas and carrots to soup broth.
- Cook on medium for approximately half an hour or until vegetables are tender.
The soup does take 3 pots to make but it is really easy as it is just browning the meat and boiling the pasta and broth and it turned out wonderfully! The red pepper and Rotel gave it a great kick. If you don’t care for spicy food, you can adjust the ingredients accordingly or eliminate those two altogether. I used a whole pound of ground meat and the sauce pan of pasta which made it a thicker soup but if you prefer more broth, again you can adjust the ingredients. The ingredients are very affordable and it makes enough for leftovers so it’s as frugal as it is delicious. My husband doesn’t read my blog so I can share this- he liked the soup so much he turned the bowl up to drink the broth and completely finish it. The soup makes a lot and we really liked it so we are having zesty hamburger soup again tomorrow night for something quick and tasty to have on the way to the Christmas tree lighting ceremony! So now I’ve made soup…and it was good! 🙂