This post contains affiliate links that support this blog at no additional cost to you.
Like many parents we walk a line of letting our kids learn and experience technology while still limiting their time on it and most important keep them safe while they use it. Your kids may be requesting technology as gifts. You may be wondering what are safe and quality tech gifts for kids. Technology can be a wonderful thing. Therapy apps played a big part in my special needs son being where he is today. Kids are reading and learning about Wilma Rudolph and Algebra and The Leaning Tower of Pisa on their tablets. Technology is used in almost every field they might want to go into and they will need it in their daily lives.
However, it can also expose them too early to things they shouldn’t see or read about or even worse to people they shouldn’t interact with. I’ve researched each of these items and we have almost all of them in our home. The kids love them but I feel good knowing they are safe while they are using them. Here’s my 8 top picks for tech gifts for kids.
8 Safe Tech Gifts for Kids
1. Nintendo Switch We got the Switch for my son for his birthday. This gaming system and the accompanying games designed for younger players. Think Mario Brothers. I love that there is an app on my phone that lets me control everything from security settings to minutes allowed to play. The parental controls app requires a pin. At the moment my son plays on Child settings which means he can not play online games and he can not chat with other players. If I choose as he gets older I can adjust the settings and allow those things but whether I will do so remains up in the air.
2. Sonixx BTX1 Kids Bluetooth Headphones – Blue || Pink We love these head phones for we are out at a restaurant or traveling or anywhere in public or even sometimes at home. They are great for letting the kids enjoy their tablet without everyone else being forced to enjoy it too. They are wireless so my special needs child has no wire to chew on. Added bonus!
3. Little Pretender Walkie Talkies for Kids These walkie talkies are among my kids’ favorite things. We use them when we’re camping or even just for fun around the house. If mom and Caitlin are at crafts and Dad and Ethan are hiking we can still stay in touch. Some places we travel don’t have cell phone service and we also like to unplug when we travel and leave the phones in the trailer. They’re just fun for the kids and they feel like real explorers. The walkie talkies come with three channels and a two mile radius. They each run on 3 AAA batteries.
4. All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition Tablet I honestly believe the Kindle Fire is the best tablet available for kids. Parents create a profile for their child in an App called Free Time. Based on that profile and the age Amazon suggests fun and educational content that kids can download. Parents can control time limits and the time limit actually works. Kids can earn rewards for reading the books. Parents can control internet accessibility. There is so much capability, so much content kids love, and so much parental control among tech gifts for kids for a great price.
5. My Audio Pet Mini Bluetooth Animal Wireless Speaker – Classical Cat || GOLDIEROCKS || PANDAmonium This little speaker gave me my Alexa back. The kids love to play their songs on Alexa. But I’d actually like to use my own Alexa so I created them a few playlists on their tablets and they play them through this cute bluetooth speaker just for kids.
6. Kurio Watch 2.0+ The Ultimate Smartwatch Built for Kids This watch is actually what the kids are getting for Christmas this year. My nephew has one and after learning of all the features I decided to surprise the kids with one. It’s made specifically for kids. It has games and apps but it also has an activity tracker, music player, camera, and all the features you would expect in a smart watch. It also has a microSD slot for more memory. The app I really liked was In Case of Emergency. You can put in allergies, special needs information and phone numbers for emergencies. No phone or contract needed.
7. Fire TV Stick with Alexa Voice Remote Confession I love the Firestick so much that we have one for every TV and one for when we travel. We use The Firestick to stream shows on Netflix or other streaming services. I also love all the shows and movies that come with our Prime Membership. I can set parental control so kids can only watch shows that are Rated E for everyone. It’s one of my favorite features. To watch anything that isn’t Rated E they need a pin. So many of the kids favorites are available- Nick Jr. Shows, PBS Kids, and more.
We love it when travel too. Many hotels may have Disney or Nick channels but they don’t offer the Junior channels for young kids. With our Firestick we know we have their favorites wherever we are. It’s a great value among tech gifts for kids for the price.
8. VTech Kidizoom DUO Camera I love to take pictures. Whether it’s of my kids, places we travel to, or food I’m always snapping pictures. My kids see me and they want to take pictures too. I bought them kids cameras in the past. The photo quality, the durability or both were disappointing. Then I found KidZoom. The reviews were good and so I took a chance. The camera comes with fun filters, photo stickers, a few games, and it’s easy to use. Most important the photos are so good I’ve used them on my blog posts and the sturdy casing has held up to all the drops. The photos are stored on a micro SD card. It comes in various colors including pink and camo which are what we have.
My kids are 5 and 7 and I feel good about these items as a fun and safe introduction to technology for them and I hope the suggestions help you find the perfect tech gifts for kids.